Skip to content

ExpatSingapore

Home Message Board Contact Us Search

ExpatSingapore Message Board 16 September 2014, 12:51:59 PM *
Username: Password: (or Register)

Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: Maid home leave  (Read 2047 times)
Rosie

View Profile
« on: 20 October 2003, 13:37:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I know there have been posts on this in the past, but I was wondering if anyone has recent experience.

My maid is due to go on home leave soon and we have just been to the Philippine Embassy to get her 'exit pass' which she requires to return to Singapore.  The exit pass itself costs $6, but to get it she must have:

1.  Employment contract (thru' PE authorised agency - $70
2.  $2000 Performace bond - $50
3.  Overseas Workers Welfare Admin membership - $43
4.  OWWA Medicare - $36

and a 'service charge' to obtain all this - $100.

Grand total - $305.

This is on top of the airfare and salary I'll pay while she is on leave.

It has been mentioned in the past on this board, that this is a scam by the Philippine Embassy here, and that the exit pass can be purchased in Manila at a fraction of the cost.

I'm wondering whether to send her home with a US$50 note to arrange this in Manila, but I don't her to get stuck in Manila, unable to return to Singapore.

We already have an employment contract from our agency (who is not accreditted by the PE) and the required medical insurance necessary for the Singapore MOM.

So has your maid been back recently, and if so what did you do?

ExpatSingapore Message Board
« on: 20 October 2003, 13:37:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

good question
« Reply #1 on: 20 October 2003, 14:37:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I am in the same boat and need to sort this out in time for my maids december home leave.  Can anyone shed any light on this situation?
jdd

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 October 2003, 18:22:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

did you know that you can claim back the CPF if the maid is out of the country for about 10 days
ML
« Reply #3 on: 20 October 2003, 19:53:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

This is really absurd. My maid goes home every 6-8 months and the only thing Philippine immigration is checking (when she returns to Singapore) is whether she has paid her OWF tax overthere.
Rosie

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 October 2003, 22:46:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

jdd - yes thanks, I did know this, but it still doesn't cover all these additional expenses.

ML - do you have an 'acreddited' employment contract?  I was given a document at the embassy stating that
'Maids are advised to produce the above documents at Manila/Cebu airports when they are returning to Singapore.  The Immigration will not allow them to board the plane if they have not done the employment contract in Singapore or they have forgotten to carry them to the airport.'

Janice
« Reply #5 on: 21 October 2003, 0:23:00 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

The way round it is to have your maid on a non-direct flight back to Singapore eg. on Malaysian Airlines, Royal Brunei etc. with a transfer at KL or Bandar. This is what I did and no hassles with all these stupid embassy regulations (and often the flights are cheaper as well).
Rosie

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 October 2003, 10:40:00 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

That's a good idea Janice - thanks.  But I've already got the flight booked (she departs this Saturday).

I've spoken to other Filipinos working here (not as maids) and they say there's no requirement like this for them.  I think it's the Philippine Embassy trying to extort a few more bucks out of us.  If it really was going towards the welfare of maids, I wouldn't mind, but I'm sure it's just lining someone's pocket.

Have to make a decision today whether to fork out the cash now, or risk sending her back w/o the required documents and see if she can get back, so any other experiences would be good to hear.

More worried
« Reply #7 on: 21 October 2003, 12:09:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I'll be more worried to pay the S$5000.- security bond from the government if she didn't return...

If somebody has a passport they can go back to their own country, or not? And they can also leave their own country, or not? Or is this to simple...

not worried
« Reply #8 on: 21 October 2003, 12:17:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

more worried you should change your name to more stupid!!

If she leaves the country and doesn't return the bond is not forfeit....

Its to ensure they don't run off and stay in Singapore......(idiot)

Rosie

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 October 2003, 12:34:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

more worried - no, the bond is to ensure they don't abscond and stay in Singapore illegally.  But your point about if someone has a valid passport they should be able to return to and leave their home country without hindrance is valid and entirely my point.  Other Filipinos who work here other than as FDW can come and go without all this palava, so why are maids discriminated against?

My maid is very worried about it, so I think I'll have to swallow my pride and fork out the dosh, but it really pains me to do so.

If she wasn't such a good maid, then I'd be tempted to send her home and employ a non-Filipina maid to avoid this hassle in future.

If anyone is thinking of getting a maid, then factor this into your decicsion whether to employ a Filipina!

[This message has been edited by Rosie (edited 21-10-2003).]

ML
« Reply #10 on: 21 October 2003, 13:16:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

If the maid runs away, the S$5,000 bond will be paid by the insurance. I only have a S$500 to pay for myself.

I don't know exactly what an 'accredited' contract is, but I believe Philippine embassy was not involved in the procedure.

Rosie

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21 October 2003, 13:42:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

ML - would be interested to know how your maid gets around this (does she bribe someone in Manila?).  My maid says one of her friends was held up at the airport for 2 weeks while the relevant documents were obtained.
More stupid
« Reply #12 on: 21 October 2003, 16:43:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Allright, I change my name.
Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: